The global Covid-19 pandemic brought a lot of people to their knees because there was little or no means of livelihood. The pandemic forced so many businesses and organizations to close down; many people didn’t have means of getting money because they couldn’t go to work, some people were not paid their salaries, and others were paid half of their original salaries. The pandemic caused a global economic shutdown and financial disturbances. What would have happened if the effects of the pandemic has still forced people to be isolated and away from their jobs and businesses? How would they survive?
In this article, I am going to show you businesses that were affected by the pandemic and businesses that thrived during the pandemic, and have the potential of thriving in difficult circumstance.
Businesses that were affected by the pandemic
- Beverage and provision store – Because of the pandemic, markets were closed down and relocated to other locations, this caused sellers to loose their customers (their customers not knowing where they relocated to) which brought about a decrease in their sales.
- Transportation service – The restrictions in movement affected the financial status of transport workers. First, a ban was put on inter-state traveling which put all inter-state travelling companies out of business. Then professional drivers like Uber and Bolt drivers were also affected cause people rarely went out for occasions and appointments. Even local drivers within the state were affected by the movement restrictions.
- Daycare centers and educational institutions – Daycare centers and educational institutions were the first to shut down at the start of the pandemic, and they have been on lockdown since then till now, approximately six months now.
- Clothing and boutique stores – People who own clothing and boutique stores were really affected by the pandemic, because they couldn’t open their stores to sell, hence they remained in lockdown having no means of getting income from their business.
These businesses amongst others were affected by the pandemic.
Businesses that thrived during the Pandemic
- Medical Centers – Medical centers were not affected during the coronavirus, and their workers were on deck and worked for their money. Hospitals, clinics, health centers, and pharmacies were not shut down during this period because of the essential services they render. This business can stand even in the midst of a pandemic.
- Blogging – Blogging cannot be hindered by the pandemic because it is done solely online. In fact, this is the time people would want to read news and articles more in your blog, because they have little or nothing to do.
- Sachet and bottle water production – Even when other companies are running out of business, a sachet or bottle water production company would stand firm. They would be stable because their product is essential and they must sell them off. So, even in the midst of a pandemic, a sachet or bottle water production company would not be affected.
- Oil and gas business – Whether you operate a petrol and gas filling station or you operate a medium scale petrol and gas refilling store, people would always need your services. They would need your fuel to run their cars, vehicles, trucks and generators etc, and they would need your gas for cooking, hence no matter the condition of the country, you must be patronized.
- Farming – A farmer is the one that feeds the nation. Whether you deal in mechanized farming or traditional system of farming, the entire nation depends on you for food. If all businesses and companies were to shut down, the farmer cannot shut down too else the nation would be in jeopardy; so you see that it’s a business that thrived in the pandemic.
- Virtual top up (VTU) – If all recharge card sellers were to stop selling due to shut down caused by the pandemic, everyone would depend on virtual top up services. It’s either they buy from their banks or from people offering virtual top up services online. Imagine you own your own platform where you can perform this service, if a shut down was to occur and people know you can easily send airtime and data to their phones, and you can subscribe their TV cables and pay their electricity bills, you would be patronized tremendously. So, virtual top up services is a business that was not affected by the pandemic.
- Private tutoring services – The first sector to shut down which had the greatest contagion risk during the pandemic was the educational sector. Because of the covid-19 outbreak, schools have been shut down from then till now, which is six months that children have been at home; parent’s alternative to reduce the effect of education shutdown became to hire private teachers for their children and wards. So while schools have been shut down, some teachers have been able to earn a living by offering private tutoring services.
- Cleaning services – During the covid-19 pandemic outbreak, while some companies were put out of business, those offering cleaning services were highly demanded and sought after. People that rendered cleaning services and companies that rendered this service were needed to clean and sanitize public gathering places, market squares, town halls, schools, companies, and fast food eatery. The need for cleaning services cannot be exhausted, and was not affected negativity by the pandemic.
- Delivery services – A pandemic outbreak can cause a limitation to people’s movements, but what happens when you need to deliver an urgent package and you cannot move around? That will lead to you seeking for a delivery service. During the coronavirus pandemic, when the government placed a ban on inter-state traveling, delivery service was not stopped, so although people could not travel, they could waybill essential goods to people in other locations.
This list is not exhaustive; you can share your input on the topic in the comment session below. While some people may loose their jobs and source of income, those who adjust well to change and prepare for the unknown would have income and means of livelihood, hence they are wise because they plan, learn, adapt and adopt.
However, irrespective of your choice of business, doing these 2 things and other things you can ruminate will help your business thrive in whatever circumstances –
- Keep a contact note of all your customers, and give them your business card if possible. This will help you to contact them if you change location, and help them locate you whenever they need your services.
- Get your business online. While some businesses suffered during the pandemic, most online business thrived and increased income tremendously because everyone turned to it. So, in order to make your business available at all times, get it online. You can do this by putting them on social media platforms.
Thanks for reading!